Thursday, December 9, 2010

Last week we went back to Nashville.  It was exactly what my soul needed.  We left in the wee hours of the morning and rolled in the evening of the 30th.  We were lucky enough to get to stay with friends the whole time.  Chris had a CT Wednesday morning and then a doctor appointment on Thursday.  We are praising God that the CT was clear and that we are off the hook for three more months.
Seven months melted into what seemed like mere days as the familiar terrain of Tennessee sprawled before us.  I can still picture in my mind the view as we drove out, back in May.  I felt a stirring in my soul that I had not anticipated.  If my Midwestern roots were not as strong as they are then I would surely go running back to the southeast.  Even just my short five years there fostered a love for the place and the people.  Seven months is a long time to go without being called "baby" or "honey!"  It was such a sweet surprise to feel like we were coming home.  Not many people get to feel that way about more than one place in the world.
Seeing my wonderful friends face to face was invaluable.  I miss them so much.  Hugs, dinners, precious conversation, and full acceptance. We got to spend a morning at our old home church too.  It was a strong dose of medicine that did me a lot of good.  I am frustrated it took me a whole seven months before I came back to see these magnificent folks!
We were fed, housed, and loved, and had a complete blast.  I wish we had had more time to do and see more.  It was hard to remember we have been gone for severeal months. It was so easy to slip back into conversation and my eyes never skipped a beat that they were taking in scenery they hadn't seen in over half of a year.  It solidified in my head that this place had truly become a home and the people a family over the last two years we lived there.
How do you live in two places?  Chris' answer is to be rich.  Sure.  While physically I can't be in two places, my mind is nearly always divided.  I don't know how much longer it will be that way for me.  I learned a long time ago not to try too hard to see the future.
For now I will be thankful God allowed us a great week to catch up in person.  I am thankful, too, that we have several reasons to go back.  Maybe sooner than I think.  I have no doubt we are where we are supposed to be for now.  It doesn't make me stop the missing part, but I don't want to sop missing.  That would mean that I had stopped caring.

1 comment:

  1. I left part of my heart back in SC with my "family" of friends there. I totally understand you being torn. It's been about six years that we've been back in MN and I still miss so much of my life back down south. I know we're where we're supposed to be, but I still miss our people down there. It's funny how different it is when you choose your family :)

    ReplyDelete