Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dear Lizzie... (6)

Dear Lizzie,
How often did you miss your family and friends back in Illinois?  Once you moved to Kansas I am sure travel wasn't much of an option.  Did you long for the places you grew up while at the same time learning to love the wide open prairie?  You were so impressed with the lack of trees when you arrived here you wrote of it in your journal.  I wonder how different it was for you here than the places of your youth.
My family and I just completed a 1500 mile round trip journey in less than a week.  That includes staying at our destination for four full days.  Travel time was a mere 24 hours total.  I am sure this would have been such a marvel to you that it would take me quite some time to explain it to you.  How often would you have gone back to the ones you loved and missed if you could have traveled in such a fashion?
As I said goodbye again to my friends last week I held onto hope that I will see them again soon.  I feel sad for you that you didn't have that option.  It seems like life could have been quite lonely out here on the plains.
I am glad now that you are surely reunited with most of those that you missed in life.

Yours Truly,
Charity

0 comments:

Post a Comment