Thursday, December 30, 2010

This is Who I am, Mom

Oh, my little girl!  I just love her so.  Yes, I love her brothers to death too.  I just waited so long for my little princess, and she was so worth the wait.  I am so fascinated at the differences between her and her rowdy brothers.  I love that she knows who she is, and feels no need to change it for anyone.  Hold onto that, sweet girl.  Here are some of the things I love about Claire - some of which are driving me crazy even as I shake my head in infatuated amazement.
She still refuses to walk.  She is 16 months old and just won't do it.  She cruises like a pro, can pull up, and is an accomplished climber.  She has taken a few steps a couple of times and when she realizes she has done it she falls to the floor as fast as she can lest anyone know she has done it!  She loves to "walk", and will take your hands and ask to do it.  What she wants is to have her hand held the whole time.  When you let go, she slowly sits down as she says "uh oh!!".  I always thought "uh oh!" was for a dropped item or an emergency, not a controlled and purposeful decent to the floor.
We got her a ride on toy for Christmas.  She calls it her "car", and says "rum rum!" when she wants to go fast.  She found out right away that her brother Noah loves to push her fast.  She also learned to put her feat out when going around corners so she doesn't fly off due to centrifugal force.  The faster the better, and she will even go to Noah and say, "rum rum!!!".  That is his cue to give her a ride.  She is probably going to want to date a guy with a motorcycle. Sigh.
Her vocabulary grows by leaps and bounds each weak.  She blows her brothers away at comparative ages when it comes to language.  We try hard to teach her the appropriate names for things and she understands so much of what you say.  She loves cats.  I only say "cat" to her, not kitty.  Mom and day have three farm cats so she sees a cat most days.  For the longest time she would only say, "meow" when she saw a cat, and not say the name of the animal.  I would just say, "yes, the cat says, meow" each time.  So the other day she sees a cat on TV and starts saying, "kitty."  Kitty?  Really?  After all this time of saying cat and only hearing the word "kitty" like twice from dada?  I said "cat" and she looked at me and said "kitty", and then laughed.
She says mama and dada all the time.  However, when she wants our attention and has something important to say to us, we become mom and dad.  "Mom!" she will say to me, waiting for me to look at her.  The she will continue to tell me whatever it is she needs me to know.
She calls Papa Tim, "papa ta."  She has said "grama" a few times.  She knows which brother is which, but refuses to say their names.  Our nickname for Silas is "Booger."  The other day she started calling him that.  If I say "Is that Silas?", she will smile and say, "Booger!"  If I yell at Silas when he is upstairs, she will promptly say, "Booger!!"
She loves her cheese!!  When she is hungry she will go to the fridge and say, "cheese!!", and do a little cheese dance.  I love it.  I hope she never stops.
She loves music and loves to dance.  She says, "ic! ic! ic!" which is how she says music.  She shakes that sweet little head and bops her whole body.  It is my favorite thing to watch.
One more thing for now.  She refuses to say "chair."  She says "down."  Because you sit down in a chair.  No matter how many times I say "chair", she always says, "down!".
OK, baby girl.   You win.  You be who you want to be and I will love you more for it.  You are smart, beautiful, funny, and caring.  I want you to stay little, but I can't wait to see who you are when you grow up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment