Saturday, January 15, 2011

I hear Julie Andrews...

It is so easy for me to get in a "funk" and feel all out of sorts. I feel discontented and restless, but a lot of times don't really have anything concrete to point to as the cause. A few days ago this exact mood was attempting to descend upon me, but I was determined to fight back a bit.  All of the sudden, I heard Julie Andrews.  Weird, yes, but I went with it.  A few of my favorite things.  Sure, I could think of those.  OH! And I don't just have favorite things, but favorite people, places, foods, and events.  I have favorite nouns.  "Thing" is such a limiting word.

Here is what I thought of, in a rambling, geyser of thought sort of style:

A sweet cup of hot chocolate right after a hot shower while wearing some comfortable sweats - with warm, fuzzy, clean socks.  When the heater in the car finally makes it just about hot on a cold day, and you can stop shivering. Standing in a pool, while you can feel the breeze around you blow like a furnace. My awesome friend, Laura, and how she has made popcorn and hot chocolate for me and my kids numerous times.  I think of her just about every time I eat popcorn - and other times too. My physically weak and broken friend, who is the strongest and most beautiful person ever in her heart and mind. How my church, friends, and community came together to care for my family when we needed it most. Hot, fresh, homemade bread. Pumpkin pie that is hot with whip cream that is cold. The little crushed pieces of chips at the bottom of the bag that I like to eat first. The ends of sausage - I like to eat those first too. The way my grandma laughs. The way my kids make me laugh. Chris' foot rubs. The cool down after and awesome work out. When someone is sarcastically funny, and when someone gets my sarcasm. Drinking something with a friend while you get to chat - without kids. Remembering that Jill and I thought it would be fun to go to the zoo with five kids, when it was 101 degrees, and we were both pregnant - then remembering we had many fun adventures together. I am glad I went to meet her. Knowing one of my heroes has survived parenting five boys.  Surely I can handle three. Seeing your child for the first time. New born head smell.  Holding tiny hands. The way my sweet little girl laughs when she sees me after I've been gone for awhile - then she crawls full speed towards me. Early summer mornings. Spring flowers. Mowing in the summer. The sound of the ocean. Going to the zoo with the kids. Going on a new adventure with the kids. A really good concert. Hiking in the woods while animal watching. An awesome, impromptu dance party in the middle of the day. How quite it gets when it snows. Loyal dogs. The fact that God loves me so much.

It's true, Julie! I don't feel so bad. Counting blessings, your favorite nouns, is never a waste of time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment