Monday, May 30, 2011

Because There is a Lot Worth Remembering

A year now, since the move. I miss, and keep missing each and every day.
Sights my eyes are sore for:

Edwin Warner Park was a retreat for me. When we first moved and I tried to use the double jogging stroller there I thought my legs were going to go on strike. Walks in the dappled light, playing pirate ship on the deck, and hunting for wildlife - we drank it all in.

The zoo in its beautiful setting. Though smaller than what we have access to now, it never disappointed us except that first time. But I hadn't given it credit and Noah dropped my sunglasses in the toilet that day. That time we saw the lady jump up from her wheelchair and grab the snake on the trail - well it still makes me smile. That one time was a bit dicey, but we all look back with fondness at our time there, especially time with friends. Levi will never forget getting to help hold the sixteen foot python. It was the highlight of his year.

Franklin and all its festivals was always a highlight for our family. We loved to drive the Natchez Trace to get there, and cross "the big, big bridge." That first year we went frequently to hear Chris play at the Irish pub. The boys tolerated the late nights really well, and Levi was obsessed with the banjo. I will never forget our visit to the Carter House. Our intense guide drilled the facts into our little group of eight. Two in our group were infants, and only three of us were adults. My boys were bugeyed at the eye popping details of the battle fought there. Mr. History Man must have thought they could handle it. Good thing they could.

The Village Chapel, our church the last three years we were there. That place was invaluable to our survival in Nashville. The people there were the body of Christ as it should be. I can still feel the strength and comfort it brought me when I think about it.

LL Burns park in Kingston Springs, and the Harpeth River. The kids and I spent hours there playing, hiking, and wading in the river. We always saw some great wildlife. An old bridge that spanned the river there was built by colored troupes during the Civil War. I made the boys go down and touch the massive stone blocks at the base one day. How often do you get to touch history like that?

To my family's chagrin I can't stop going on about how much I miss Publix. It was the first and last grocery store I went to in Nashville. Friendly service, buy one get one free every day! What's not to like?? I'll try to save face here and not go on.

Sounds my ears are straining for:

Music. In all tones, rhythms, and strains. Its why we moved to begin with. The music of the south is haunting and enchanting and made me feel at home. When I hear it I am just as homesick as when I see the Great Plains.

The rushing of wind through all those trees mingling with babbling brooks and rushing rivers.

People my heart aches for.
My dear friends become family. To not be near you hurts to my core. You are my favorite memories.

Being caught between the want for two worlds can make a girl quite nutty, but also quite lucky. Two worlds of memories warm my heart, moisten my eyes, and curl up the corners of my mouth. Here, in these words, I've barely scratched the surface.

0 comments:

Post a Comment