Monday, October 11, 2010

"The heavens declare the Glory of the Lord."
This verse came to mind as Chris and I soared above the clouds on our way to Florida for eventual adventure on the high seas.  I had not been to the ocean in eight years.  Oh, it was way too long.  Once our cruise ship left the port and the ocean stretched ahead of me I was again instantly in love with it all.  The sounds, the smells, the colors!!  Where else does a deep navy blue turn into the most beautiful turquoise topped with white froth?
I spent countless minutes staring over the rail - completely taken by the water's power.  I realize when that verse was written not many had been out fully in the open sea with no land in sight.  The heavens are truly glorious, but for me the ocean tops the skies.  The vast seas really do declare the Glory of the Lord.
The ocean reminds me of how small I really am.  It is such a vast space.  It is full of alien like creatures and holds countless secrets, many of which we will never realize.  The perpetual tides never tire at circulating the water.  The waves pound the shore and wash onto land various treasures to the delight of beachcombers.  I found three sharks teeth on that trip, and I marvel to think of the creatures that once utilized the sharp, triangular pieces of bone.
Many times as I looked over the rail my mind wandered to thoughts of being stranded out there.  Without a boat and provisions you might as well be stranded on Antarctica.  Maybe that was the draw of past sailors - such beauty mixed with danger and uncertainty.  Of course you can't ignore the lure that travel and adventure have as well.
I have often wondered why God put so much wonder in a part of the Earth that is difficult for us to know.  Past generations could never have imagined the realm of the deep sea - volcanic vents and glow in the dark fish.
My frustration at being landlocked is eased a bit by realizing I will never wet my toes in the salty expanse enough for it to become routine.  Each time will be exciting and awe inspiring.
The heavens, the ocean, yes, even the prairie declares the Glory of the Lord.  They have his hand print on them.  He has allowed some to be beautiful, some to be magnificent, and some to be nearly overwhelming in the wondrous spell they cast.





0 comments:

Post a Comment