Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Princess is One

Talk about transition. If ever there was an example of transition, it is the first year of life for any child. Or, how about from conception to that first birthday. One cell to a walkie-talkie. Amazing.


Here is to you, my Princess. The first year of your life has been tumultuous. You showed up unexpectedly and took our breath away. You were comfort in trying times; a soft little package of love to calm the soul. You were a smile to brighten the hospital room and dainty enough to hold when daddy was hurting. You were a chance for mommy to finally be girly in the midst of testosterone overload.

You were weak, helpless, dependent, fragile, needy, unresponsive. You are strong, learning to do for yourself, quick to get your needs met, learning to fend and defend, and full of love, smiles, and kisses. You cried and cooed; now you speak with emphasis. You laid still; now you crawl, roll, stand, and get into everything. You wanted only me; now though you prefer me, you love to interact with others.

You are so beautiful. You are smart and cunning. I see in your face that you are thinking all things through. You in turn study the face of others. You get to know them first, then offer your love. You will be a force to be reckoned with someday. I love you fiercely.

Your brothers went through similar transitions. They are changing too. You, my girlie girl will offer me a different sort of companionship than they. I can’t wait to traverse life with you.

Happy first year, my dear one. I am so thankful God gave you to me. Your brothers are surely the cake, which makes you the icing. Mommy is a lucky, lucky lady.

Claire Elizabeth Fontaine

1 comment:

  1. I just recalled that Claire Elizabeth was one of my names for a girl! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete