Saturday, September 3, 2011

I've had three showers today...
Such a hot summer. It's been like a "blow dryer," to quote my dad. Records set, and everything has been wilted and withered. Nothing could grow and you could almost imagine another dust bowl if things got too windy.
I took five kids on an adventure this morning. I was watching my niece, who is four, for the day. We walked down to Santa Fe lake, which really isn't a lake anymore. It was drained for maintenance, and with no rain and triple digits, it shrank under the sun's assault.
Weeds, over my head, had covered the lake bed.  Someone had made some paths by trampling the weeds down, and we followed one for a bit. It was tough going for Tia and Claire, so I took them back to an open spot. For an hour they "cooked" with the dirt. Shells were their dishes and leaves their salad. The sun beat down, we sweat.
An hour and five showers later, we finally had lunch.
A second trip out to play in the afternoon had us drenched with sweat in the first few minutes due to the humidity. I saw the clouds billowing up, expanding like shaving cream high in the wild blue. Big hot air masses were preparing for the front blowing our way.
Another shower after little niece leaves, and I prepare to unwind from the week.
I sit, mindlessly browsing Facebook. The wind starts. I sigh. I run out quickly, to feel the heat just one more time, but I've missed it. The cool is on it's way, and though most are glad of this, I struggle with the change.
That strong wind, it's through my fingers and mocks the sadness in me.
It's calm now. No visible change from inside where I sit. Twenty degrees cooler heralds that I must ride the changes yet again.
And though there is a restlessness in my soul that I can't seem to calm or even begin to figure out, I know that for today, I made the most of it. There is a little clearing, in a little forest, on a dry lake bed, with proof.








0 comments:

Post a Comment