Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dear Lizzie...(17)

Dear Lizzie,
Well, fall fell as usual, but I was secretly hoping it would get lost and never show up.
I haven't written lately because we seem to always be so busy. I can only imagine how busy this time of year was for you. Preparation for winter has changed quite a bit over the years. Were you busy canning, drying, and curing this time of year? That's what I wish we were doing, but the blow dryer of summer made gardening really difficult.
I wish I knew if you ever went to any fall festivals. I love fall festival time. I miss the ones we had access to in the south, but we have still had a fantastic time with what Kansas has to offer. Believe it or not, it's now popular to take your kids to a pumpkin patch for fun. There are rides, slides, corn mazes, and you can purchase pumpkins and gourds. I suppose this sounds a bit odd to you, as I am sure you just grew your own pumpkins and gourds. And did it ever occur to you to have a bunch of families you didn't know come traipse through your patch?
Many more leaves cover the ground than when you lived here. I wonder what fall in Kansas looked like 150 years or more ago. I can't hardly imagine fall without trees.
Well, Lizzie, I need to go now. I have some little ones to attend to. It was good chatting with you. It would have been fantastic to take an afternoon walk with you some time during the fall. I bet we could have had some great conversation.

Yours truly,
Charity 

0 comments:

Post a Comment